Announcing my Ellerbe hat!
The cornflower design I used for my Ellerbe mitts makes another appearance here, creating a larger flower or snowflake shown to best advantage on the back of a top-down slouchy hat. The flowers can be worked in the same yarn as the body (which looks subtle in a solid color, and can be striking in a multicolored yarn) or can be worked in yarn that contrasts in color or texture. (There is no embroidery – it just looks like it.)
A purchase of either of my Ellerbe patterns on the Ravelry website (don’t use the buy now button on this page) means a US$2 discount on buying the other. Discount is automatically applied at checkout.
Ellerbe Creek runs through Durham, North Carolina. I love going for walks by the creek and will donate ten percent of my proceeds from this hat to the Ellerbe Creek Watershed Association.
<a href=”http://www.ravelry.com/purchase/gannet-designs/299546″><img src=”http://www.ravelry.com/images/shopping/buy-now.gif” border=”0″/></a>
If you’re on Ravelry, please join me for a knitalong on my group – if you finish either the hat or the mitts by the end of November, there will be prizes! Knitalong signup and details here.
- To fit head sizes 18 (20, 22) inches [46 (51, 56) cm].
- Brim measures 16 (18, 20) inches [40.5 (46, 51) cm] just above ribbing.
- You can also increase to the desired diameter (about 2 inches [5cm] less than head size) and work from there, making it easy to adapt this to other yarns or head sizes, or to a beanie.
- 18 stitches and 26 rounds over 4 inches [10cm] in stockinette on larger needles.
- 137 (177, 220) yards [125.5 (162, 201.5) m] of main color worsted weight yarn. Sample is worked in Quince & Co. Lark.
- 8 yards [7.5m] of contrast color worsted weight yarn (or extra of main color). Sample uses Berocco Ultra Alpaca.
- US size 8 [5mm] needles for working in the round.
- US size 7 [4.5mm] needles for ribbing in the round.
- cable needle (optional)
- darning needle for working in ends.
- You need to know how to cast on, bind off, knit, purl, yarn over, slip stitches, cable, increase, decrease, and knit in the round.
- Both written instructions and a chart are provided.