I was browsing through the stitch patterns to find an example for an upcoming blog post when my attention was caught by Serendipity. When I designed that stitch pattern, I hadn’t yet started isolating motifs from the larger patterns. I realized that I should pull the heart motif out of the bigger design for you, and here it is.
I wanted all the yarnovers inside the heart, and so I replaced some of the yarnover-and-decrease combinations from the original stitch pattern with 1/1 crosses. This sort of trick comes in very handy sometimes.
- This is a stitch pattern such as might be found in a stitch dictionary. It is not a pattern for a finished object.
- As charted, Serendipity heart is a multiple of 16 stitches and 14 rows. (The heart itself takes up 12 stitches and 10 rows.)
- I’ve made a stitch map for it.
- Designers, please feel free to use this stitch in your patterns. I’d like credit but won’t be offended if people don’t give it.
- If you like my posts like this, please consider supporting me on Patreon or donating with my Paypal tip jar in the sidebar. Thanks!
- 1/1 LC: Slip next stitch to cable needle and place at front of work, knit 1, then knit 1 from cable needle.
- 1/1 RC: Slip next stitch to cable needle and place at back of work, knit 1, then knit 1 from cable needle.
- k: knit.
- k2tog: knit 2 stitches together as if they were 1. (Right-leaning decrease)
- k3tog: knit 3 stitches together as if they were 1. (Right-leaning double decrease)
- p: purl.
- ssk: slip each of the next 2 stitches as if to knit, then knit them together through the back loop. (Left-leaning decrease)
- sssk: slip each of the next 3 stitches as if to knit, then knit them together through the back loop. (Left-leaning double decrease)
- yo: yarn over.
Row 1 (RS): Knit.
Row 2 (WS): Purl.
Row 3: K6, k2tog, yo x 2, ssk, k6.
Row 4: P7, k1, p8.
Row 5: K4, k3tog, yo x 2, k2, yo x 2, sssk, k4.
Row 6: P5, k1, p3, k1, p6.
Row 7: K2, k3tog, k1, yo x 2, k4, yo x 2, k1, sssk, k2.
Row 8: P4, (k1, p5) x 2.
Row 9: K2, 1/1 LC, k1, yo, k1, k2tog, ssk, k1, yo, k1, 1/1 RC, k2.
Row 10: Purl.
Row 11: K3, (1/1 LC, k1, 1/1 RC) x 2, k3.
Row 12: Purl.
Row 13: Knit.
Row 14: Purl.