Here’s a set of stitch patterns I designed after writing Gather Together last week. In my original rough draft swatch, I only tried the first, but while I was swatching in the final yarn, I couldn’t help but try a couple of variations. I like them all, so here they all are!
- These are stitch patterns such as might be found in a stitch dictionary. They are not patterns for finished objects. You will need to add selvedges or some other form of knitted stitches to either side.
- All three of these stitches are a multiple of 13 stitches and 4 rows. I worked a single 13 stitch panel on a background of stockinette.
- Designers, please feel free to use these in your patterns. I’d like credit but won’t be offended if people don’t give it.
- If you like my posts like this, please consider supporting me on Patreon or donating with my Paypal tip jar in the sidebar. Thanks!
- gather left: (k1, yo, k1) in next 3 stitches as if to SSSK: slip each of the next 3 stitches as if to knit, slip them back to the left needle together, and (k1, yo, k1) through all three back loops at the same time.
- gather right: (k1, yo, k1) in next 3 stitches as if to knit three together.
- k: knit.
- p: purl.
Row 1 (RS): k3, gather left, k1, gather right, k3. [13 sts]
Row 2 (WS): purl.
Row 3: k1, gather right, k5, gather left, k1.
Row 4: purl.
Gathered Braids in particular makes an interesting mock cable.
I made a stitch map for it.
Row 1 (RS): p1, k1, p1, gather left, p1, gather right, p1, k1, p1. [13 sts]
Row 2 (WS): (k1, p1) x 6, k1.
Row 3: p1, gather right, (p1, k1) x 2, p1, gather left, p1.
Row 4: (k1, p1) x 6, k1.
I made a stitch map for Gathered Fronds.
Row 1 (RS): p3, gather left, p1, gather right, p3.
Row 2 (WS): k3, p3, k1, p3, k3.
Row 3: p1, gather right, p5, gather left, p1.
Row 4: k1, p3, k5, p3, k1.
Psst: all are in color! Grey yarn photographed on a grey day, sigh.